Paulists in Australia - our story so far|
MISSIONARY SOCIETY OF SAINT PAUL - A BRIEF HISTORY
The Missionary Society of St Paul
Significant Dates in our History
- 30 June, 1910
- Joseph DePiro accepts the first two members for his new Missionary Society.
- 14 November, 1921
- The local bishop officially approves the establishment of the Society.
- 18 March, 1924
- The first rules of the Society are approved by Church authorities.
- 21 June, 1927
- Br Joseph Caruana is the first Paulist to be sent to the missions. He was sent to Ethiopia (then known as Abyssinia),
where he remained until his death in 1975, at the age of 83.
- 17 September, 1933
- Mgr Joseph DePiro dies at the age of 55, leaving the Society in its infancy and struggling to survive.
- 14 April, 1948
- Fr Michael Callus becomes the first Paulist priest to be appointed as Superior General of the Society.
- 2 August, 1948
- Fr Augustine Grech is the first Paulist member to arrive in Australia.
- January, 1959
- The Society opens its first house in Ontario, Canada.
- May, 1968
- The first group of Paulist Missionaries arrives in Peru.
- December, 1972
- The MSSP goes to Michigan, USA.
- 19 January, 1973
- The Missionary Society of St Paul becomes officially recognised by the Vatican as a Religious Order of Pontifical Status,
under the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples.
- January, 1981
- The Paulist Missionaries open a new mission in Faisalabad, Pakistan.
- January, 1997
- The MSSP starts discussions with the Church authorities in the Philippines to open a new mission there.
- March, 1997
- The Missionary Society of Saint Paul purchases a house in Rome, Italy. These premises will house the Central
Administration of the Paulist Society.
- 8 May, 1998
- The new Generalate for the MSSP is officially opened in Rome.
- 11 January, 1999
- Fr Lonnie Borg arrives in the Philippines, to be the first Paulist Missionary in this new mission.
- 15 February, 1999
- The MSSP returns to Canada! Frs Dominic Cachia (from Australia) and Mark Demanuele (from Malta) are the first Paulist
Missionaries to minister at St Paul the Apostle Parish, Toronto.
- July, 2000
- The MSSP holds its first General Chapter outside Malta, namely at St Paul's Missionary College, Australia.
- 25 January, 2003
- The diocesan process of the cause for the beatification of Joseph De Piro comes to an end. All material is now passed
on to the Sacred Congregation of Saints in Rome.
- 28 April, 2009
- St Paul's House of Formation, the MSSP's International Formation House, is blessed and officially opened by the Superior
General Fr Bernard Mangion, in Manila, the Philippines..
Paulist Houses in Australia|
477 Royal Parade,
Parkville, VIC 3052
St Paulís Missionary College,
Wantirna South, VIC 3152
St Bernadetteís Parish,
59B Westmoreland Road,
North Sunshine, VIC 3020
St James the Apostle Parish,
330, Derrimut Rd,
Hoppers Crossing North, VIC 3029
De Piro House,
19 Stanley Street,
East Sydney, NSW 2010
175 Walters Road,
Blacktown, NSW 2148